1 Cup of This Fruit Every Day Lowers Blood Pressure (How To Grow An Endless Supply of Blueberries)
Blueberries are delicious and perfectly sweet, but did you know that they’re also great for your heart health?
In fact, blueberries are highly value for its high antioxidant value among fruits and vegetables. They contain anthocyanins, which are part of a sub-class of flavanoids and give bluberries their blue color.
These antioxidants help to counter the buildup of plaque, fight free radicals and improve cardiovascular health.
Long-term intake of high Anthocyanin is associated with a reduced risk of Myocardial Infarction (heart attack) in young and middle-aged women.
In fact, another study by Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found that “Daily blueberry consumption improves blood pressure and arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women with pre- and stage 1-hypertension.”.
These antioxidants are also said to:
- Improve memory
- Reduce risk of developing Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Help digestion
- Prevent cancer
Blueberries make a great snack, with only 80 calories per cup. They’ll full of dietary fiber, which helps keep you full and improves digestion. 1 cup also contains about 25% of your daily value of Manganese (3).
37% of Americans are deficient in manganese, which can contribute to infertility and bone malformation .
Manganese helps the body form connective tissue, bones, blood clotting factors, and sex hormones. It also plays a role in fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption, and blood sugar regulation. Manganese is also necessary for normal brain and nerve function.
How To Grow Blueberries Indoors
Buying blueberries can be quite expensive even if you’re not buying organic. If you want to add blueberries to your diet without breaking the bank, here are two ways to go about it:
- You can buy frozen ones.
- Learn how to grow blueberries.
If you choose option 2, make sure to select a blueberry variety that grows well in pots, such as “top hat” blueberries.
It’s also important to monitor soil Ph levels and ensure that it remains between 4.5 and 5.0.
When selecting a pot, remember that Blueberry roots are shallow and prioritize a short, large container over a tall and narrow one.
To make sure your plant doesn’t drown or begins to grow mold on its roots, plant it in a pot with drainage.
- Fill the container two-thirds full with an acidic soil mix.
- Gently wiggle the plastic grower’s pot it came in to release the plant from its pot.
- Center the blueberry bush in the container, filling in the edges between the plant and the pot with more soil.
- Use your hands to apply firm pressure on the soil to prevent it from loosening up when you water your plant.
- Water well and add more soil if necessary, do not “choke” the base of the bush with dirt.
- Spread 1 to 2 inches of acidic mulch like pine needles on top of the soil.
- Place in a sunny location with at least six hours of sun a day.
- Harvest your berries and enjoy!
Source: https://dailyhealthpost.com/http://theimprovementclub.com/1-cup-of-this-fruit-every-day-lowers-blood-pressure-how-to-grow-an-endless-supply-of-blueberries/Health & Fitness