STOMACH CANCER IS A SILENT KILLER! HERE ARE THE SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
There are 24,000 new cases with stomach cancer diagnosed in the USA on yearly basis. If this type of cancer is caught early, the survival rate can be even 90%, however, the symptoms rarely occur until the disease spreads to the other organs. During this stage, the disease cannot be treated and the survival rates are lower.
When the cancer cells start forming in the inner lining of the stomach they grow into tumor and this is also called gastric cancer. The disease grows slowly over many years. It can be spotted early in case you know the symptoms and in that way be able to treat it.
The reason for its occurrence is not known, but there are a few risk factors that contribute to it like bacteria H. pylori which causes ulcers, gastritis (inflammation in the gut), long-lasting anemia, as well as growths in the stomach called polyps.
In order to prevent it from occulting you should better learn the warning signs and risk factors. Symptoms occur, but they are mild and the person usually ignores them. These are the symptoms that may indicate stomach cancer:
- Vomiting with or without blood;
- Discomfort or pain in the stomach;
- Heartburn or indigestion;
- Vomiting and nausea;
- Fatigue and weakness;
- Appetite loss;
- Bloating of the stomach after meals;
- Constipation or diarrhea;
- Vague discomfort in the stomach, usually above the navel;
- Belly pain;
- Weight loss without trying;
- Bleeding (blood in the stool or vomiting blood);
- Swelling or fluid build-up in the stomach;
- Indigestion or heartburn;
- A sense of fullness in the upper abdomen after eating a small meal.
These symptoms may be caused by other things other than cancer and those can be ulcer or stomach virus. Moreover, these symptoms may also occur with other cancer types. No matter what the issue is, you should always check with your doctor in order to make the proper and right diagnose.
Only 1 in 5 stomach cancers in the USA can be detected in early age as the symptoms often do not appear until the disease is advanced.
The most common factors which increase the chances of getting stomach cancer:
- Diet full with smoked, pickled, dried, and salted foods;
- Gender (males affected by this type of cancer are 2/3, while 1/3 are women);
- Age (over 55);
- Presence of Helicobacter pylori in stomach (it can cause ulcers);
- Family history;
- Previous stomach surgery;
- Smoking and alcohol abuse.
You need to be very cautious. In case you suffer from any of these warning signs or are worried about your risks you need to consult your doctor. You may be asked to visit a gastroenterologist for further evaluation.
Source: http://www.healthytipsworld.net/http://theimprovementclub.com/stomach-cancer-is-a-silent-killer-here-are-the-signs-symptoms/Health & Fitness